About Us | strategic plan
The Pennsylvania Alliance for Geographic Education (PA Alliance) initiated its strategic planning process in the spring of 2011, culminating in a second planning retreat in June, 2012. The resulting strategic plan was approved by the Steering Committee on January 26, 2013.
An assessment of the organization, the industry, and critical trends led to the development of a new vision and mission statement to support the PA Alliance’s strategic goals for the organization over the next three years. Specifically, the PA Alliance seeks to build on its strengths and take advantage of current opportunities in support of five strategic priorities:
- Awareness, Visibility, and Advocacy: Increase awareness of geography, increase the visibility of the Alliance, and become advocates for geography across Pennsylvania
- Infrastructure: Develop and strengthen the governance and organizational infrastructure to support long-term organizational and leadership sustainability.
- Revenues: Increase and diversify revenues to support financial health and sustainability
- Programs: Deliver relevant programs/services in three areas: resource clearinghouse (K-12); professional development; and classroom focus–Upper Elementary (PA Geography and History), Middle School (World Geography-World Cultures) and High School AP Human Geography
- Membership: Grow and diversify membership
To achieve progress toward these goals, the plan lays out specific strategies for each goal area to be accomplished over the next three years. Each goal is supported by a series of objectives with an approximate timeframe for engaging in the activity. The PA Alliance intends for the plan and planning process to be interactive: the Steering Committee will review and evaluate progress annually and will update future planning years accordingly.
Through this planning process, the PA Alliance has affirmed its belief that geography is relevant and consequential to everyone, every day. The organization is committed to devoting the resources and actions that are critical to support its mission: To help prepare global citizens and caretakers of Earth in an ever-changing and interconnected world by fostering geographic literacy and spatial thinking.